Beach Town Ideas 2020

A group to bring together ideas and visions for Long Beach as a downtown and beach destination.

Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
Posts awaiting your approval 0
Stop Complaining March 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM
If a category 3 hit Long Beach, not only would be a strip of sand, but the entire island would beRead Morecr ushed. There is nothing the city can do to protect us from that. And while this storm wasn't a hurricane, it's impt to note that the barometric pressure was equivalent to that of mid range category hurricane. That coupled with a full moon and two high tides made for a huge surge. My previous comments weren't directed at you (me). I respect that this is a forum where ideas are shared but there are a lot of Monday morning quarterbacks that like to complain from behind their computer screen.
Richard Horn March 15, 2013 at 03:11 PM
one more comment about IPE wood. While it doesn't split like that crap pressure treated wood, itRead Morest ill splits somewhat. It also becomes very dull, and It should be treated every couple of years to bring back luster and keep splitting to a minimum. We have harsh beach weather here, and concrete is the way to go. One other point about the IPE wood, It does need longer stronger screws, but that won't help stability, as they will be screwed into pressure treated wood joists, which aren't worth crap. Hey Jay, how much to pressure wash and treat a two mile deck every few years.
RhondaVW March 15, 2013 at 03:39 PM
Hi Richard. I agree as I have seen the difference between Ipe on a NYC park bench and Ipe on aRead Morecoast al boardwalk. And as for questioning engineers I think the fact that engineers are designing a boardwalk where ipe is attached to treated joists that will fail way before the decking as you point out gives everybody the right to question their other decisions.:)
Joseph Kellard February 19, 2013 at 05:41 AM
Although I had to cut this from my original story on the meeting, here is a passage that pertainsRead Moreto a residents with a similar situation as yours:
Joseph Kellard February 19, 2013 at 05:43 AM
Although I had to cut this from my original story about last Wed.'s FEMA meeting, here is a passage Read Morethat pertains to a residents with a similar situation as yours: A landlord said that his insurance company, Allstate, told him that he can’t challenge the depreciation in his two-family home, according to a rule of the National Flood Insurance Program. "Why am I considered a second class resident in Long Beach," said the homeowner, who demanded an explanation of the rule. “I still have the same refrigerator and hot water heater replaced, and in fact I pay more in taxes because I have a two-family house.” Recoverable depreciation only applies to single-family homes, [FEMA officials Diana] Kidder told him, and said that she would contact his insurance company.
Tonto Hertzberg February 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Hey...........Look what someone just sent me. Its going viral. Its the KEYNOTE address to the 2006Read MoreC ity Council from the guy that led the campaign to kill the 2006 Army Corp plan that would have saved us. The cheers at the end are priceless now in retrospect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz53nbO4rpg
Hamburger February 18, 2013 at 07:23 AM
Way to go Jeff - I thank you on behalf off all LB citizens! Who needs 98 million from the FedsRead Moreanywa y?
Carly February 19, 2013 at 01:34 AM
Eddie, you're wrong. Damage must exceed 50% of the home's Nassau County-assessed value, which IsRead Moreava ilable on mynassauproperty.com. That excludes land and other structures.
See more »