- Long Beach City Hall is closed on Monday. Additionally, there will not be holiday care or day care provided at any of the city's centers.
- Long Beach Schools are closed. Any events regularly scheduled on that day are canceled.
- Federal offices and agencies are also closed for the holiday, as are some banks and financial institutions. However, many banks, as well as the stock markets in New York remain open today.
- Post offices are closed for Columbus Day and there will be no mail delivery.
- The Long Beach Library branches, however, are open regular hours on this day.
Columbus Day remembers Italian explorer Christopher Columbus’ long journey across the Atlantic Ocean to the “New World." The voyage was victorious when land was first spotted on Oct. 12, 1492.
The day is also considered a celebration of Italian heritage, as well as a huge shopping day in the U.S.
Know of any other closures in town? Let us know in the comments section!