Here's what's happening on this much cooler Friday in Long Beach:
1. The Long Beach Cinema is due to reopen today. Here is the scheduled movies and times: X-Men: First Class (PG-13) 12:15, 3, 5:45, 8:30; Bridesmaids (R) 12:30, 3:30, 6:10, 8:40; Kung Fu Panda 2 3D (PG) 12, 2:15, 4:30, 6:45, 9; Super 8 (PG-13) 12:45, 3:15, 6, 8:45.
2. If you were busy cooling off at the beach yesterday, here's what you may have missed on Patch: Patch personality Stacey Sweet made her Long Beach debut when she and her video team covered the George Ennis Film Festival at the Cabana; we posted a profile on the new self-serve frozen yogurt shop Tutti Frutti on West Park Avenue; and we visited some local merchants to find out how heatwaves impact their businesses.
3. Coming up on Patch: We'll post stories on the slate of Republican candidates running for Long Beach City Council (see our previously-posted profile on the Democrate candidates), the new principal at Long Beach Middle School, and restaurants that offer sidewalk dinning.
4. Long Beach Catholic Regional School will hold their Eighth Grade Dance today. For additional information, call the school at (516) 432-8900.
5. Get ready for the Arts Festival at Kennedy Plaza on Saturday and Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The festival will showcase some 50 local artists who will sell all original work, including paintings, drawings, sculpture and photography. There will be live music, which is sponsored by the Long Beach Library, during the afternoon hours. Food and drinks will also be available for purchase from vendors.