.

LB Resident Running Boston Marathon for Hurricane Relief

Photo from a recent training run that Robin attended in Boston. Robin (middle in the pink) with two of her teammates. Credit: Robin Lynch
Photo from a recent training run that Robin attended in Boston. Robin (middle in the pink) with two of her teammates. Credit: Robin Lynch
It's been three months since Hurricane Sandy battered Long Island, and the Long Beach community is still feeling the lasting effects -- the main reason why resident Robin Lynch will be running in the 2013 Boston Marathon on April 15.

Lynch will be participating in the marathon for Dream Big!, a Massachusetts-based charity dedicated to providing underprivileged girls the opportunity to participate in sports. Part of the money raised will go to Long Beach, but how Lynch got to that point is the interesting part of the story.

She was originally scheduled to run the New York City Marathon this year, and while it was ultimately canceled, Lynch said she wouldn't have done it anyway.

"I had previously made the decision not to run so that I could focus on helping my fellow Long Beach residents get back to some sort of normalcy," Lynch said. "I also did not feel it was right to pull much-needed resources away from recovery efforts for the marathon."

Three weeks later and Lynch got an email from Dream Big! in regards to her Boston Marathon charity application. However, after careful consideration, Lynch decided that running in the marathon wasn't the right thing to do.

"In light of everything that was going on in Long Beach, I didn't think it would be right for me to raise funds for a Massachusetts organization," she said.

After explaining her situation to Linda Driscoll, founder of Dream Big!, the charity offered a compromise -- a big one.

Driscoll spoke with the foundation's board and quickly came back with good news. She told Lynch that 80 percent of the money that was raised could go to Long Beach, with the other 20 percent going to Dream Big!

"I was absolutely floored," Lynch said. "I thought I was dreaming and I broke down crying."

The money raised will go to providing girls and the programs that serve them -- in storm impacted areas in New York -- with equipment grants and program scholarships.

"I'll be working with local coaches -- little league coaches, some of the school coaches and the recreation director -- to identify girls that might have lost sporting equipment during the storm or cannot participate in a sport because right now their parents can't afford $100 or whatever it is to enter them in a program," Lynch said.

Thus far, Lynch has raised $2,600 raised out of the required $4,000, however, she said she would like to raise a total of $5,000.

Readers can visit Lynch's donation page by clicking this link: http://www.razoo.com/story/Helping-Long-Beach-Recover-By-Dream-Big
Robert Moses February 02, 2013 at 03:46 PM
Great idea and I clicked through to help, but then took a quick look at Dream-Big. They are a very inefficient charitable organization -- most recent tax return (on guidestar.org) shows $45K in salary & expenses and only $15K in grants during 2010. Therefore, my $100 contribution could possibly yield only $25 in actual grants? Huh? Not how I want to contribute to LB recovery...
Jeannine G. H. February 04, 2013 at 09:59 PM
What a great way to give back to your community!
Linda Driscoll February 12, 2013 at 07:52 PM
Thank you so very much to Robin and everyone who has supported her Boston Marathon run for Dream Big! Dream Big! is proud to work with girls in need, and the programs that serve them, impacted by Hurricane Sandy. A minimum of 80% of all donations to Robins run will go directly to providing equipment grants and program scholarships for female athletes in New York. Dream Big! works to breakdown the economic barrier that prevents many girls from participating in sports and physical actvities. Over the past three years Dream Big! equipment donations, program scholarships, sports clinics and the Dream Big! Leadership Conference has impacted over 3000 girls from 45 different programs and schools. Thank you to all for helping Dream Big! to keep many wonderful girls active. Linda Driscoll - Founder & CEO Dream Big!

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something