This story was updated at 4 p.m. on 8.29.13.
More than 300 bayside homeowners, from the Canals to the West End, are eligible to apply for a new aid program to help them rebuild their Hurricane Sandy-damaged bulkheads, city officials announced last week.
Follow Long Beach Patch on Facebook.
The program involves the city will do much of the work in providing consultants to help with Department of Environmental Conservation permit applications, finding contractors, and laying out the funds for construction, City officials, including City Manager and Public Works Commissioner Jim LaCarrubba and Council member Fran Adelson, announced at a press conference Aug. 20.
If all of the bulkhead jobs are lumped together the costs would be lower, said officials, who also explained that the city will issue bonds and borrow to cover the costs and pay the contractor, and homeowners would be required to pay the city back with yearly payments that can be spread over 20 years, according to the Long Beach Herald. The charges would be added to their tax bill and will be credited to the property, so that if the homeowner moves the balance can be transferred to the new homeowners.
Adelson, whose storm-damaged Canals home had to be knocked down, said:
“In order to help protect our neighbors in the Canals and along the water, the city is embarking on this project, and working with the residents of the city so you don’t have to come up with all of the money.”
The city told Patch that it will bond funds for the project as it becomes necessary.
"We will not be bonding these out individually, but rather in groupings," said city spokesman Gordon Tepper. "Response will determine when and how much. Remember also, the City will be doing its bulkheading off of the same bids."
Tepper noted that resolutions to award the RFP to the consultant, award the bid to the contractor who will perform the work, and for bonding will all be required.