Long Beach residents, Elizabeth Murphy and Brian Martin rode out Irene last year in their home on Walnut Street.
“We stayed and so did everybody that we know because we did not think that it was going to be this bad,” said Murphy.
Dennis Demuth of Shore Road left Sunday night to stay with his daughter in Brooklyn and returned to get some of his belongings and empty his refrigerator.
“We are lucky because the water did not get into our apartment,” he said. “We were not as concerned with our safety as we were with our cars flooding.”
- PHOTOS: Hurricane Sandy - The Aftermath
- City Manager: Long Beach Under 'Extreme Flooding'
- Health Commissioner Orders Water-Consumption Ban in Long Beach
- Long Beach Water, Sewer Systems Out
- City Officials Focus on Getting Residents to Safety
- City Officials Offer Post-Hurricane Update