.

Five People Hospitalized After Deck Collapses in Long Beach

Male rescued from rubble is attended to by Point Lookout-Lido firefighters. (Credit: Bill Bennett)
Male rescued from rubble is attended to by Point Lookout-Lido firefighters. (Credit: Bill Bennett)

This story was updated at 10:54 a.m. on 6.4.13.


Five people were injured after an outdoor deck collapsed at a Long Beach apartment building Monday evening.   

Follow Long Beach Patch on Facebook.

According to the Long Beach Fire Department, the victims, ranging in ages from 9 to 55, were having a barbecue on a second-floor balcony, at 271 Shore Road, at about 8:30 p.m. when the concrete structure fell to the ground floor, approximately 12 feet below.

“It was an obvious structural failure, with five or six people on the balcony, and the weight of everyone on it led to its collapse,” LBFD Commissioner Scott Kemins told Patch.

Four people were transported to Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow and one person was taken to South Nassau Communities Hospital in Oceanside, all of them listed in stable condition. “They had mostly bumps and bruises and maybe there were some broken ribs,” Kemins said about their collective injuries.

Lt. Eric Cregeen, a spokesman for the Long Beach Police Department, said a dog was also on the balcony at the time it collapse and was trapped in the rubble but was found unharmed.
  
Richard Boodman, a Monroe Boulevard resident, said “there was an army of fire vehicles and personnel on the scene. Commissioner Kemins and his assistant worked their butts off with others making sure the adjacent balconies were properly supported.”

Kemins, who is also the city’s building commissioner, said the apartment building remains occupied, although he and his assistants blocked off all the balcony doors at the building.

“Obviously we’ll have to get an engineer and contractors there in the morning,” he said.

Cregeen said the building complex, at 261 and 271 Shore Rd., have two balconies and two terraces that are each accessible through a bedroom. “The building department declared the collapsed balcony and the balcony located in 261 Shore Road as unsafe,” Cregeen said. “The access to the two balconies and two terraces were blocked off and secured by LBFD.”

MORE NEWS
Long Beach Police Get New Contract
D.A. Announces Prostitution Sting Aimed at Johns
Hurricane Season is Here: Are You Ready?
Lloyd June 05, 2013 at 06:49 PM
I know some of the West End bartenders are former City engineers who are registered Republicans.
Sent from my Lear Jet June 05, 2013 at 08:43 PM
Lloyd: If you are saying that "former City engineers" are Licensed Professional Engineer's that can legally put the professional title P.E. after their names, then these people are better qualified to be building commissioner than the hack holding that office. P.E. after an engineer's name is just like M.D. after a doctor's or CPA after an accountant's names. There is a big difference between appointing a bartender to be a building inspector and making a building inspector into a bartender. Building's fall down when inspected and approved by a bartender.
moe June 05, 2013 at 08:49 PM
Lloyd, I know a bunch of Democratic city council people who have been convicted of various criminal acts, your point is???
Lloyd June 05, 2013 at 09:20 PM
I'm a registered Republican and vote that way 99% of the time. The other 1% I reserve for guys like Ross Perot.
Lloyd June 05, 2013 at 09:26 PM
My party has been taking a beating at City Hall since I moved here. A lot of good and qualified people have been terminated by the Schnirman bullies.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »